Sunday, February 01, 2015

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley

A few days ago I finished a book entitled 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie', a mystery set in 1950s England with an 11-year-old protagonist. Flavia de Luce is her name, and she's a brilliant little girl who is fascinated with Chemistry. Flavia soon stumbles upon a mystery -- as all detectives do in books -- and she quickly becomes involved in figuring it out, without the Police knowing!

I was fascinated by the book! It was elegantly written with many moments of humour. Flavia's sisters Daphne and Ophelia torment her with no end so she finds ways to get back at them. For example, she poison's Ophelia's lipstick so it gives her a rash on her face. Flavia is a little genius, but still a child at heart and sees people and circumstances with innocence yet a profound understanding.

It was an amazing book, the mystery was flawlessly written! The plot itself moved quite quickly which made it an easy read.

Overall, I loved it and I have book #2 already. Something tells me I'm going to be at the bookstore this week...


No comments:

Post a Comment